belladonna - ergotamine - phenobarbital
In this drug factsheet:DIN (Drug Identification Number)
|00176141 ||BELLERGAL SPACETABS|
How does this medication work? What will it do for me?
This medication is used to treat women with menopause symptoms and nervous tension. It is used to help manage symptoms such as hot flashes, sweating, dizzy spells, headaches, heart racing, tiredness, sleeping problems, anxiety, and nervousness associated with menopause. It is not recommended for osteoporosis or dryness of the vagina.
This medication may be available under multiple brand names and/or in several different forms. Any specific brand name of this medication may not be available in all of the forms or approved for all of the conditions discussed here. As well, some forms of this medication may not be used for all of the conditions discussed here.
Your doctor may have suggested this medication for conditions other than those listed in these drug information articles. If you have not discussed this with your doctor or are not sure why you are taking this medication, speak to your doctor. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
Do not give this medication to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms as you do. It can be harmful for people to take this medication if their doctor has not prescribed it.
People who read this article also read about:
How should I use this medication?
The recommended adult dose of belladonna - ergotamine - phenobarbital is one tablet in the morning and one tablet in the evening. Do not take more than 16 tablets in one week.
Many things can affect the dose of medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here, do not change the way that you are taking the medication without consulting your doctor.
It is important to take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Store this medication at room temperature, protect it from light and moisture, and keep it out of the reach of children.
Do not dispose of medications in wastewater (e.g. down the sink or in the toilet) or in household garbage. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medications that are no longer needed or have expired.
What form(s) does this medication come in?
Each speckled dark green, orange, and light lemon-yellow tablet, with an embossed "S" in a triangle on one side and a double score on the opposite side, contains ergotamine tartrate 0.6 mg, levorotatory belladonna alkaloids 0.2 mg, and phenobarbital 40 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: cornstarch, lactose, and tartrazine.
Who should NOT take this medication?
Do not take belladonna - ergotamine - phenobarbital if you:
- are allergic to ergotamine, belladonna, phenobarbital, caffeine, or any ingredients of this medication
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
- are taking any of the following medications:
- antifungal agents (e.g., ketoconazole, itraconazole, fluconazole)
- certain medications for migraine headaches (e.g., ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan)
- macrolide antibiotics (e.g., erythromycin, clarithromycin)
- protease inhibitors (e.g., ritonavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, saquinavir)
- have a severe infection or sepsis
- have certain types of blood circulation disorders (such as peripheral vascular disease)
- have a history of heart attack or stroke
- have certain types of migraine headaches (e.g., hemiplegic or basilar migraines)
- have heart disease or cardiac arrhythmias
- have narrow-angle glaucoma
- have poorly controlled high blood pressure
- have porphyria
- have severely reduced kidney function
- have severely reduced liver function
- have severe breathing problems
- suffer from malnutrition