methocarbamol - ibuprofen
In this drug factsheet:DIN (Drug Identification Number)
|02247147 ||Robax Platinum Tablet|
How does this medication work? What will it do for me?
This is a combination product containing 2 medications: methocarbamol and ibuprofen. It is used to relieve pain associated with muscle spasm such as strains and sprains, back pain, and tense neck muscles.
Methocarbamol belongs to a class of medications called muscle relaxants and they reduce muscle spasms. Ibuprofen belongs to a class of medications called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) that reduce pain and inflammation.
This medication may be available under multiple brand names and/or in several different forms. Any specific brand name of this medication may not be available in all of the forms or approved for all of the conditions discussed here. As well, some forms of this medication may not be used for all of the conditions discussed here.
Your doctor may have suggested this medication for conditions other than those listed in these drug information articles. If you have not discussed this with your doctor or are not sure why you are taking this medication, speak to your doctor. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
Do not give this medication to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms as you do. It can be harmful for people to take this medication if their doctor has not recommended it.
How should I use this medication?
The recommended dose for adults and children over 12 years of age is 1 or 2 caplets every 4 to 6 hours. Do not take more than 6 caplets in 24 hours unless directed by your doctor.
Many things can affect the dose of medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here,do not change the way that you are taking the medication without consulting your doctor.
It is important to take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If your doctor has told you to take this medication on a regular basis and you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Store this medication at room temperature, protect it from light, and keep it out of the reach of children.
Do not dispose of medications in wastewater (e.g. down the sink or in the toilet) or in household garbage. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medications that are no longer needed or have expired.
What form(s) does this medication come in?
Each biconvex, bilayer, blue-grey and white caplet with "RO" on one side contains methocarbamol 500 mg and ibuprofen 200 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: FD&C Blue No. 2, ferric oxide (red), hypromellose, magnesium stearate, methylcellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, povidone, sodium lauryl sulfate, and sodium starch glycolate.
Who should NOT take this medication?
Do not take methocarbamol - ibuprofen if you:
- are allergic to methocarbamol, ibuprofen, or any ingredients of the medication
- are allergic to other carbamates, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs; e.g., naproxen, ketoprofen, diclofenac)
- are also taking other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs; e.g., naproxen, ketoprofen, diclofenac)
- have an active stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer, or a history of recurrent stomach or duodenal ulcers
- have active inflammatory gastrointestinal (stomach and intestine) disease (e.g., diverticulosis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease)
- have active liver disease or poor liver function
- have asthma, anaphylaxis, hives, rhinitis, or other allergic reactions that are caused by acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs; e.g., naproxen, ketoprofen, diclofenac)
- have nasal polyps
- have poor or worsening kidney function