MediResource may revise and update this editorial policy at any time.
MediResource aims to educate consumers by providing current health care information on the web. Our goal is to provide health information that strengthens and enhances the consumer-physician relationship.
We are committed to providing information on a wide variety of health topics, disease conditions, and treatment options. Our intent is to provide consumers with a better understanding of health care issues and to present explanations of medical information that may help them become knowledgeable consumers of health care and actively participate in caring for their own health.
Consumers come first
MediResource content is consumer-focused. Our primary goal is to write about what consumers want to know. Our first priority is to provide what consumers are interested in learning.
MediResource content is created or reviewed by health care professionals and qualified medical writers (doctors, pharmacists, nurses, and others). All content is reviewed by medical doctors, pharmacists, and/or other relevant experts to ensure clinical accuracy. As such, content may incorporate the professional medical opinions of the authors or reviewers or that of MediResource.
We define medical terms as much as possible to help achieve these goals. While our writing style can vary depending on the type of content we are writing, our overall goal for all our material is to ensure that it is usable information that consumers can act on - engaging, empowering, supportive, and encouraging.
We feature topics regarding issues that are interesting and important to consumers and that could affect their health and well-being.
Evidence-based and clinically significant
We research our health content and strive to incorporate the latest evidence-based findings published in medical textbooks and references typically used in the Canadian university setting, as well as peer-reviewed medical journals, such as The New England Journal of Medicine or information from manufacturers. We strive to ensure that our information is medically accurate and factual. We may include the opinions of health care professionals on what is clinically significant.
We include information that is timely and reflective of current events, seasons, and trends. Examples include "Caring for Psoriasis in the Summertime," "Happy Healthy Holidays," and "Summer Safety," as well as content focused on nutrition, fitness, aging, healthy living, alternative medicine, and much more. Health information changes regularly as a result of continuing medical research and technical advances. We keep our content current through regular reviews and quality assurance testing.
Content not developed by MediResource
MediResource may license content or distribute content from third parties for publication on the web. An example of this content is the Health News (provided by Canadian Press) or manufacturer information. Such content is not subject to this Editorial Policy and does not necessarily represent the opinions and views of MediResource writers, reviewers, or other staff members. MediResource does not edit this content and takes reasonable steps to disclose the content source where the content appears.
Stock MediResource content
Much of the content found on this site is stock content created by MediResource. MediResource stock content includes drug database articles, disease or condition database articles, the Community Support Database, feature articles, and other miscellaneous articles. Stock content is written by MediResource and then peer-reviewed by health care professionals with clinical expertise in the subject area. As such, this content incorporates the professional medical opinions of the authors. MediResource reviews and updates stock content regularly to maintain clinical correctness and medical accuracy. Feedback and suggestions are accepted from many parties, including health care professionals, non-profit associations, regulatory bodies, website visitors, and others. However, the professional opinion of our clinical team dictates what actions, if any, we take based on that content. MediResource accepts complete responsibility for its stock content.
MediResource develops content on behalf of sponsors. The intent of sponsored content is to increase consumer awareness of treatment options and to provide information that allows consumers to make informed decisions about the care which is best for them. The content aims to stimulate productive conversation between physicians and their patients. Please remember that sponsored content is information and that any action related to the prescribing or dispensing of a health product is a private matter between a physician and a patient. An additional goal of the content is to allow people to better understand why certain treatment decisions may have been made. Although there is a commercial benefit for MediResource, sponsor information also benefits all site visitors by informing them of various treatment options, therapies, and products available in the marketplace. Sponsored content is also important in that it provides MediResource the commercial ability to develop non-sponsored content, decision support tools, community support directories, and other information which is of value to our readers. We encourage readers to inform us of content they feel may be influenced by sponsor involvement. Where appropriate, sponsored content must follow advertising guidelines of regulatory agencies such as Health Canada, PAAB, or ASC.
This site does NOT provide medical advice
The contents of this site, such as text, graphics, images, information obtained from the MediResource licensors, and other material contained on the site ("content") are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider for any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this site.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 9-1-1 immediately. MediResource does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on this site. Reliance on any information provided by MediResource, MediResource employees, others appearing on the site at the invitation of MediResource, or other visitors to the site is solely at your own risk.
Some content, banners, and images are labeled "Information from our Sponsors" or have equivalent notices. Such content may not have been reviewed by MediResource editorial staff and is not subject to the MediResource Editorial Policy. Content, banners, and images labeled "Advertisement" are subject to our Advertising Policy.
The following guidelines outline the MediResource policy regarding advertisers on this site:
- Advertising and advertisements include banner ads, images, buttons, sponsored content, and text links.
- Writers and editors do not receive any commission from the advertising on MediResource.
- All new advertising campaigns, or changes to existing campaigns, are subject to approval by MediResource staff (at their sole discretion).
- MediResource reserves the right to remove an ad from its sites if it is determined (at MediResource's sole discretion) that the ad does not comply with the advertising standards of MediResource or is deemed by MediResource to be otherwise objectionable, offensive, or deceptive.
- Client advertising in any specific area on MediResource is strictly for the purchase of advertising space. MediResource does not endorse the advertised product or the company that manufactures it.
- Text links link either to the advertiser's site or to a designated location on the MediResource site.
- It is the responsibility of the Advertiser to comply with all applicable domestic and foreign laws, including applicable laws and regulations of regulatory bodies. This includes pharmaceutical advertising to physicians as described by any of the following organizations: Advertising Standards Canada (ASC), Pharmaceutical Advertising Advisory Board (PAAB), or Health Canada Direct to Consumer Advertising (DTCA) guidelines for Direct to Physician (DTP) and Direct to Consumer (DTC) advertising.
- MediResource will not monitor compliance with applicable laws and regulations. However, MediResource reserves the right to review all advertising for compliance with applicable laws and regulations and, if MediResource becomes aware of any noncompliance or potential noncompliance to any applicable law or regulation or to these guidelines, MediResource reserves the right to remove the advertising.
- No advertising shall be permitted that may injure the good name or reputation of MediResource or the site on which the advertising is displayed.