What to expect from your psoriasis treatment
Since there is no cure for psoriasis, treatment is an ongoing process. But "no cure" doesn't mean "no hope." Psoriasis can be effectively managed, and it is possible to clear skin lesions.
The main goals of psoriasis treatment are to:
- provide the most benefit while minimizing side effects
- reduce flare-ups
- resolve flare-ups quickly and effectively
- improve your physical symptoms of psoriasis
- provide the most convenient method of using medication to minimize the impact of psoriasis treatment on your activities of daily living
- clear your skin lesions quickly and return your skin to healthy condition
- improve your quality of life
Most importantly, psoriasis treatments should meet your needs in a satisfactory method. Don't settle for anything less.
Talk to your doctor or dermatologist to find a treatment that works for you. Choosing a treatment depends on many factors individual to you, including:
- the type of psoriasis you have
- how psoriasis has impacted your quality of life
- how much your psoriasis affects your quality of life
- whether you have allergies to medications
- whether you have other conditions
- how comfortable you are with the risks and benefits of a specific treatment
- how effective the treatment is for you in reducing general symptoms
- how effective the treatment is for you in reducing flare-up episodes and increasing symptom-free duration
- how effective the treatment is for you in resolving any flare-ups
- how treatment fits into your lifestyle
- how well you respond to a given treatment
- how well you tolerate the treatment (administration side effects and frequency of use)
Your treatment should meet the goals listed above. If you find your treatment does not meet these goals, talk to your doctor about your options for a different type of psoriasis treatment. Your doctor may decide to change your treatment plan, for example by adding a medication or switching medications.
Take comfort in the fact that there are other treatment options out there. And one will meet your expectations – including clearing your skin lesions.
Use the Treatment Check-Up Tool to check to see if it's time to see your doctor about your psoriasis treatment and treatment expectations. Use the Doctor Discussion Guide to know the right questions to ask.