Even though there is no cure for COPD, it can be managed with appropriate treatment. Optimal treatment will likely improve your general well-being.
What are the goals of COPD management?
COPD management aims to:
- relieve COPD symptoms
- prevent COPD from getting worse
- reduce the number of COPD exacerbations(COPD flare-ups) and make flare-ups less severe
- make it easier to exercise and do daily activities
- treat flare-ups quickly and reduce the risk of health problems due to COPD
What does COPD management involve?
Your COPD management will likely include:
- COPD treatment to keep the disease under control and manage symptoms
- treatment of flare-ups
- lifestyle changes such as starting an exercise program and quitting smoking
- getting relevant vaccinations (e.g., flu and pneumococcal vaccines)
- working with your health care team
How does my doctor choose a COPD treatment for me?
COPD treatment is based on how severe your COPD is and how often you have a flare-up.
It's important to know how severe your COPD is so you can make sure you're on a treatment that's appropriate for you.