Cancer treatment depends on the type and stage of your cancer and your general health. You and your doctor will work together to choose an appropriate treatment.
To learn more about your cancer and your treatment options, you may want to ask your doctor the following questions:
- What type and stage of cancer do I have?
- What is the goal of treatment?
- What are my treatment options?
- What treatment(s) would you recommend?
- What does the treatment involve (e.g., hospital stay, travelling to receive treatment, length of treatment)?
- When will the treatment start to work?
- What are the side effects of the treatment, and what should I do if they occur?
- When should I seek emergency medical care?
- Is there anything I need to avoid (e.g., alcohol) during my treatment?
- What other support services are available to me?
- How active will I be during my treatment - can I go to work/school, etc.?
- If the treatment does not work, what options do I have?
Together, you and your doctor can help choose the treatment that's right for you. To make sure you understand your treatment options, discuss your treatment with your doctor.