Are you doing all that you can to manage your asthma? The best way to free yourself from asthma symptoms is to keep the inflammation in your airways under control. This prevents them from becoming hypersensitive and reactive to irritants in your environment. When asthma is well controlled, you can lead an active life with few symptoms and fewer days lost from work or school.
Here are some ways to improve asthma control:
- Avoid your asthma triggers.
- Follow your asthma action plan.
- Have your inhaler techniques regularly reviewed by a health care professional.
- Recognize the signs that your asthma is not under control or is getting worse so you can take appropriate action.
- See your doctor regularly for monitoring.
- Seek emergency medical help when needed.
- Set treatment goals.
- Take your asthma medications as prescribed.
- Understand the role that your asthma medications play.
Talk to your doctor if you are concerned that your asthma may not be under control, or if you have any questions about managing your asthma.