You can help your doctor out by being prepared to answer questions and having appropriate information with you. Here are some tips for getting ready for your doctor's appointment:
- Write down exactly where you are experiencing your pain. Include the following information:
- what time of day or after what activities it hurts most
- whether the pain is constant or if it comes and goes
- how long the pain lasts
- whether or not the pain wakes you up at night
- how your pain affects your ability to perform daily activities such as dressing, opening jars, and going up and down the stairs
- Make sure you have a complete list of your medications (including non-prescription medications such as herbal products) and be sure to including the doses you are taking. Or just take all your medications with you to the doctor's office.
- Be prepared to tell your doctor whether your have been using your medications exactly as directed, how your medications affect you, and how other medications have affected you in the past. Think about any questions or concerns that you may have about your OA treatment.
Click here to print out our doctor discussion guide and bring it to your appointment.