Another important part of preparing for your doctor's appointment is preparing the questions you want to ask. Here are some suggestions:
- What steps, other than using medications, should I take to manage the pain of osteoarthritis?
- Is my arthritis likely to improve on its own or could it get worse?
- What type of daily exercises would you recommend?
- Do I need to lose weight? If so, can you help me with a weight loss plan or refer me to a nutritionist or dietitian?
- Which pain medication would be best for me?
- What is the most appropriate way for me to use my medication? Is it best to use it on a regular basis?
- Should I be taking anything to protect my stomach from the effects of my pain medications?
- Should I expect any side effects? What should I watch out for?
- What can I do if I'm having trouble taking my medication as directed?
- Which types of orthotics or other aids would you recommend to help me with daily living?
Click here to print out our doctor discussion guide and bring it to your appointment.